rss
twitter
ebh824@gmail.com

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Try, try again...

I remember when DH and I decided that it was time for us to have a baby: we had sex all the time. I think we were filled with the excitement of starting a new life together (in our new home, that we bought to have a family in). It was fun and easy. When nothing happened on that first try, we said, “It’s ok. We have time. More sex, please!” Then the second month came and went, as did the third. By that point, I was starting to get concerned. That’s when I decided to read up on things and purchased Taking Charge of Your Fertility, 10th Anniversary Edition: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health. Knowledge is power and now I was on a mission.

After a few months go by and still no pregnancy, a certain level of worry starts to creep in. Some of us just bury ourselves into work and hope things will right themselves. Others (like yours truly) want to know why nothing’s happened yet. It’s the beginning of what could be a long, tough road.

The medical journals recommend that women under 35 try up to a year and those over 35 can try up to 6 months before seeking help. I don’t know about you, but I hate wasting time. I say, if nothing’s happened in 3-4 months, go see your OB/GYN. Don’t let them send you home without ordering some basic tests. Have them check your ovarian reserve (FSH), your progesterone (P4), your estrogen (E2) and luteinizing hormone (LH), which you need to ovulate, and get a thorough ultrasound check. If all looks good, then it’s time for your partner so get a semen analysis.

Don’t sit on the sidelines. After all, this is YOUR fertility. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read and make a comment on my blog. I love hearing from you. Please sign up to follow me. And don't hesitate to email with questions or future topics.